The essential components of the human circulatory system are the heart, blood and blood vessels. It includes the pulmonary circulation, a "loop" through the lungs where blood is oxygenated; and the systemic circulation, a "loop" through the rest of the body to provide oxygenated blood.
1. Your heart will pump nearly 48,000,000 gallons (185,000,000 liters) of blood during your lifetime.
2. It would take 1,200,000 mosquitoes, each sucking once, to completely drain the average human of blood.
3. There are 100,000 miles (160,000 kilometres) of blood vessels in an adult human body.
4. It takes the entire blood supply in our body about 1 minute to complete the circuit of the heart, lungs and blood vessels and back to the heart.
5. It takes about 30 seconds for a drop of blood to circle the entire human body.
6. Red blood cells make 250,000 trips around the human body during their four-month lifespan.
7. Coconut water can be used (in emergencies) as a substitute for blood plasma.
One case in the recent medical literature involved a man who had recently suffered a stroke - in the remote Solomon Islands. The doctors infused about two-and-a-half litres of coconut water.
Blood is the most precious gift that anyone can give to another person — the gift of life. A decision to donate your blood can save a life. Did you know that blood donors in Sweden receive a text whenever their blood is used to help someone?
If you are eligible, please consider donating blood.